More and more people are turning to home aquaponics as the most powerful, sustainable, and productive method for growing their own food.
I started learning about aquaponics nearly 10 years ago and have continued to watch its popularity and reputation rise as more and more people adopt it as their primary food source for their homes and their families.
And for good reason…
Aquaponics has very distinct advantages over other types of home gardening like a traditional soil based approach or hydroponics. Within the last few years the verdict has come down with a definitive bang, and without a doubt aquaponics is the clear winner.
A simple system that combines fish, plants and water in a balanced and symbiotic relationship is a very beautiful thing in my opinion. It’s perfect. The fish waste feeds the plants, and the plants cleanse the water before returning it to the fish. Like I said, perfect.
I believe in this so much that I have made it my personal goal to educate and support those who are interested in taking control of their own food supply for the benefit of themselves, their loved ones, and the environment. And in this article I hope to show you why this is such a powerful method, and then help you get started quickly and easily.
8 Reasons to Choose Home Aquaponics
Here are some of the proven benefits that will demonstrate the clear advantages of choosing to start your own system.
- Organic – By its very nature this is an organic method of growing food. You don’t need fertilizer or chemicals because the fish provide all of the nutrients needed for the plants.
- Less Work – Yes that’s right. It’s much less work than a traditional soil based garden. No digging, no weeding, and no dealing with pesky critters like raccoons or dear. You can attain amazing results with very little work.
- Sustainable – This is a highly sustainable approach to growing food. Not only are you using 90% less water than a soil based garden, but the amount of power needed to run the pumps is very very little.
- Easier Than Hydroponics – This is much easier than a hydroponics system, where you have to always be monitoring the nutrients and adjusting your fertilizer. Luckily with our approach you just let the fish do all the hard work!
- Less Space – Did you know that aquaponics produces 2x to 5x more food per square foot? Now you do! This means that no matter how big or small your available space is you can start a garden!
- Taste – There is nothing in the world like homegrown organic food. One bite of your own tomatoes or strawberries from your garden will be enough to make you never want to shop at the grocery store again
- Environmentally Friendly – Growing fish and vegetables at home means you have seriously reduced your impact on the environment. No transport of food, no depleting the ocean of fish (guilt free enjoyment of eating fish!) and no environmental impact of large commercial farming. You can seriously reduce your footprint on the environment.
- Cost – Growing your own food will save you a ton of money. The little time it takes to maintain your system once you have it going makes this a no brainer.
Location and Size?
The most wonderful thing about this method is that once you understand the basics and how it works you can setup a system of any size, in almost any location! Whether you want to grow indoors, outdoors, or in the garage… With a small, medium, or large system… No matter what your current situation you can find something that works for you!
Taking the Next Step
Ok so if you haven’t noticed, I think aquaponics is pretty amazing. And I think with everything I’ve outlined above and everything else you have probably heard, you’ll agree. Now it’s time to take the next step and either learn the basics of how it works or even get started with your own system.
At this point I would like to help you take the next step, whatever that may be, by offering you some links and resources that you can use to move forward on your journey.
- Introduction to Aquaponics – Our key introduction that serves to set a solid foundation for your understanding of how and why this works.
- Fish Species – Learn all about the most beneficial fish species and which ones you can use depending on where you live in the world.
- Plants – Learn all about the most common plants, vegetables, and foods.
- Setting up a Backyard System – Everything you need to know about setting up a system in your backyard, including special considerations of climate and available space.
Get Started – Setup Your System!
- Aquaponics Guide – This is our #1 recommended guide to help you start your own aquaponics garden. Step by step instructions will take you every step of the way and show you exactly how to proceed from start to finish!